Gratuitous ARP interval etc

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Gratuitous ARP interval etc
From: Shinichi Kido <shin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:26:16 +0900
Dear all,

If anyone may give some advice to my concerns, it would be very helpful
and would like to appreciate.

1) Gratuitous ARP interval

  I'm setting two nodes cluster with heartbeat and checked the timing
  when the gratuitous arp broadcast, using tcpdump.
  I found the packet broadcasted  when the fail over occurs, but it
  looks likes never be broadcasted at regular intervals.

  If so, when the router facing to WAN, missed to receive the arp, due
  to network congestion, etc, the service would be unavailable till
  the arp cash expires.
  Is it possible to set to broadcast gratuitous arp constantly from
  active server, regardless of the failover?

2) Strange phenomenon

  I set static MAC address table corresponds to virtual ip (10.0.0.1)as
 BBBBBBBBBB(MAC address of Back up), experimentally on my client pc.,
 and made ping test to virtual ip(10.0.0.1).
 Actually, it replies.

 Is it nomal phenomenon? If so, is there any considerable negative effect?

 ※I tried arp request fo 10.0.0.1 many times, and all the reply was
    collect(Address of Active Server).

    Cannot find output of virtual interface eth0:0 in BackUP
    Server(Normal).
    I'm using IPVS v1.0.2 with debian kernel 2.4.22-1-ipvs-386

                         Virtual IP
                         10.0.0.1

       LVS Server 1                     VS Server 2
      (Active)                          (BackUP)
       IP:10.0.0.2                      IP:10.0.0.3
       MAC:AAAAAAAAAAAA                 MAC:BBBBBBBBBBBB

Thank you very much to reply me everytime with kindness.

Kido

Regards.