Re: Gratuitous ARP interval etc

Subject: Re: Gratuitous ARP interval etc
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:18:42 -0400
Shinichi Kido wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> If anyone may give some advice to my concerns, it would be very helpful
> and would like to appreciate.
>
> 1) Gratuitous ARP interval
>
>   I'm setting two nodes cluster with heartbeat and checked the timing
>   when the gratuitous arp broadcast, using tcpdump.
>   I found the packet broadcasted  when the fail over occurs, but it
>   looks likes never be broadcasted at regular intervals.

yes, normal arp takes over after that

>   If so, when the router facing to WAN, missed to receive the arp, due
>   to network congestion, etc, the service would be unavailable till
>   the arp cash expires.

yes, but since your network is congested, it doesn't matter, since nothing
is getting through.

>   Is it possible to set to broadcast gratuitous arp constantly from
>   active server, regardless of the failover?

yes, but I would kick you off the network if I was running it.
Your problem is with congestion not with arp.

> 2) Strange phenomenon
>
>   I set static MAC address table corresponds to virtual ip (10.0.0.1)as
>  BBBBBBBBBB(MAC address of Back up), experimentally on my client pc.,
>  and made ping test to virtual ip(10.0.0.1).
>  Actually, it replies.

perhaps I'm missing something. Why shouldn't it reply?

>  $B"((BI tried arp request fo 10.0.0.1 many times, and all the reply was
>     collect(Address of Active Server).

I do not understand this.

>     Cannot find output of virtual interface eth0:0 in BackUP

eth0:0 does not exist. Only eth0 exists. the ":0" is an arguement
to the ifconfig command. The network is clearer if you use the iproute2 tools.

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb@xxxxxxx