using arptables to block ARP

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: using arptables to block ARP
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:50:27 +0200
we're in the process of upgrading our real servers to RHEL 3.0 WS, and
to avoid compiling our own kernel with Julian's hidden patch, I thought
I'd try using the arptables-jf package.

it looked very promising, and seemed to work fine when I tested it.

the rule is very simple:

  arptables -A IN -d 129.240.10.10 -j DROP

(129.240.10.10 is the VIP.)

this happens before the interface is brought up and the aliases added.

but, it doesn't seem fool-proof.  tonight, this host took over the ARP
entry for the VIP.  I have no idea how.  it didn't reboot, only
Perdition was restarted.

does anyone have any experience using arptables?
--
Kjetil T.