[OT] Binding A Second NIC to A Device

Subject: [OT] Binding A Second NIC to A Device
From: Jacob Coby <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:15:31 -0500
A slightly off topic question here.

How do I force one NIC to be eth0 and the other to be eth1?

I've got a Dell 2450 with a built-in Intel Pro/100. I need to add a second NIC to the system for backing-up our data, so we purchased an Intel Pro/100 card. Every time I install this card, Linux (RedHat 7.3) insists on forcing the new card to be eth0 and the built-in to be eth1. This completely screws up the networking to the system due to ARP issues. Is there any way I can force the built-in to be eth0 and the new card to be eth1?

I must be searching for the wrong terms or looking in the wrong places - I can't find an answer or even a hint towards an answer anywhere on the Internet.

Thanks,
--
-Jacob