Re: ipvsadm trees

Subject: Re: ipvsadm trees
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:31:59 +0900
On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:43:06AM -0500, Joseph Mack wrote:
> Alejandro Mery wrote:
> >
> > Hi, i have a machine which boot both, linux2.4 and linux2.6. i want to
> > use ipvs on both, what should i do with ipvsadm? can i use ipvsadm-1.24
> > to admin lx2.4 or ipvsadm-1.21 for lx2.4 and 1.24 for lx2.6?
>
> The way they were written you have to use a version of ipvsadm for each
> kernel. I would rather one giant ipvsadm that detects the kernel and does
> the right thing. However Horms is the one who's doing most of the maintenance
> and he's happy with the way he's doing it.

I am not sure that either of those stathements are true.
I would definately rather ipvsadm had the same kind of
semantics as modutils. That is something like this:

You always invoke ipvsadm regardless of your kernel.
If you only have ipvsadm-1.21 or ipvsadm-1.24 installed,
then that is always run and it complains if there is a kernel
version missmatch. If you have both installed then ipvsadm-1.24
is always run, but if it detects a 2.4 kernel, then it execs
ipvsadm 1.21.

Also, the current version numbers are quite aquard, especually
as 1.24 is used for a 2.6 kernel, nota  2.4 kernel, which one
may be tempted to think in error. But we are probably stuck with them.

As for who maintains the code. I have made modifications to it over
time, as have others. But I always assumed that as with the kernel code
the maintainer was Wensong.

I would be more than happy to make patches to implement what I describe
above, but I would like some feedback from Wensong first.

--
Horms