affinity and https connections

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: affinity and https connections
From: Seth Daniel <lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:20:24 -0800
Hello,

I'm wondering how to tune affinity for https connections using
ldirectord / ipvsadm / nat (the typical ultra monkey setup).  We have
two backend webservers and a front-end load balancer running
ldirectord/ipvs.  My current persistent setting (which I understand to
be the terminology used by ldirectord for affinity) is 120.

I have a soap server behind the load balancer and all connections are
made using https.  The problem I've been seeing is that once a client
makes a connection to the load balancer they *always* get the same
backend machine.  I had one client submit data, via 10,000 soap
transactions over 38 minutes, and all the data went to only one of the
backend machines.  I would like to configure the load balancer to
distribute the various soap transactions to each of the two backend soap
servers.  Currently my persistent setting is at 120 seconds and I'm
using the default wrr scheduling algorithm.  Thanks for any help.

heartbeat 1.2.3
ipvs 1.0.10
kernel 2.4.20-31 (from ultra monkey)

--