LVS-DR

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS-DR
From: Josef Pospisil <Jelcin@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:44:02 +0100
Dear Mailinlist,

I would be glad if Somebody could tell me how LVS-DR exactly works. I really dont Understand how it works. Now i am going to write down how i think that it could work and you can correct me if i am wrong.

So Director and Realservers has its own RIP. All have the same VIP. Director on eth interface Realservers as loopback interface. Now if a client request something from the VIP the director answers on the VIP. Than he decides to which realserver the packet should be directed. The realserver itself answers directly to the client.

But why there are loopback interfaces with VIP on the Realservers?
Why are they hidden? (i know because they shouldn't answer to ARP_Requests but can a loopbackinterface answer to ARP_Request at all?)
So i would like to know exactly the way of a Packet.

thanks a lot

Jelcin