Re: local node on failover server.

Subject: Re: local node on failover server.
From: Jan Klopper <janklopper@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:08:51 +0100
I have been going on vacation for a couple of years now (sailing races) and it has been a nightmare without anything like a cluster/failover.

That is exactly the reason why i have setup this system.

I fugured we could just do the following:

replace the line that says, ifconfig eth0 add VIP netmask ...
with: noarpctl del VIP RIP.

And the other way around:
replace the line: ifconfig eth0:0 del VIP netmask ...
with noarpctl add VIP RIP

the only point i don't know for sure is:
will the new server begin arping as soon as noarp has been deleted?
the rest of the scripts would remain the same right?
(maybe all but the startup script, but that can be done outside of LVS/heartbeat in for example local.start, to add the VIP with noarp like any realserver would)

Mack.Joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.john@xxxxxxx

lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/02/2005 09:16:03
AM:

Anyway, would it realy be that error prone?

I'm being gloom and doom. It may not be that difficult.
I'm just giving the worst case.

I agree that you'd want to make sure the systems stays as simple as
possible, but hearthbeat could just be changed to
add/remove noarp of the VIP on the failover server,
instead of adding/removing the VIP at all right?

you have to start up the service on the node, and on the
director failover, move the service to loadnode. I'm sure it all
can be done. Remember you're going to go on vacation sometime
and someone else is going to have to handle it if something
goes wrong. You don't want it too fancy.