RE: clock constantly out of sync

Subject: RE: clock constantly out of sync
From: "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOUGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:54:30 +0100

Leon Keijser :
> Hm. If i tell this to the 2m10 tall network admin who bought
> it, he'll kill
> me if i don't give more information. For example, all the
> windows servers
> don't seem to have this problem.

OK. Here we go for more information.

NTP is a RFC (1305 and precedents) known to provide some
interesting mathematic formulas. Those Mathematics are used to
ieduced the real time using both a synchronized clock (a strate N
server) and the time used by the packets to go from the ntp server
to the ntp client.

My own experience is that ntpd si less ressource consuming than ntpdate,
because it learns about your network. Ntpdate has to learn about the network
times on each call.

If your windows servers do not have this problem, it is probably because
they are at least W2000 ones using an AD. The AD connection provides an
ntp like protocol to synchornize the servers.

> I'll look into ntpd further. Up to now i always assumed this
> is a daemon if
> the box itself wants to be a time server.

Not only. It is also a end-daemon for a client that wants to stay
synchronized.

François.