Re: clock constantly out of sync

Subject: Re: clock constantly out of sync
From: "Leon Keijser" <errtu@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:56:46 +0100 (MET)
> Guy (and hopefull girls),
>
> This has nothing to do with LVS and/ or heartbeat. I guess you are
> running a Linux guest within a Linux host vmware server (or
> ESX)? If so,

Yup, ESX.

> - On the  VMWare Server management console webinterface, go
> to Options ,
> Advanced Settings, and search fro the option  Misc.TimerHardPeriod.
> Default value is 1000 , adjust it to 333.

I'm guessing this will affect all virtual servers?

> On the linux  guest machine:
>
> -For Grub edit: /boot/grub/menu.lst  add "clock=pmtmr" to add
> the end of
> your current kernel and reboot.

I did (without doing the first) and this already looks promising. Heartbeat
now says every 5 minutes (in syslog) that it has compensated because the
clock jumped backwards, but i guess this is okay.

Btw, the kb on vmware.com said the same, except forgot to mention that this
is a kernel parameter. So they advised to put this line at the end of
grub.conf  ... hmpf

> -This should fix your problem (run ntpd on both host and guest OS, no
> vmware-tools)

Hm, but somebody else just advised against using ntpd, and recommended
ntpdate.

> More info on this issue (not appropriate fix though):
>
> http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/stdadp.php?pfaqid=1339
>  http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/stdadp.php?pfaqid=1420
> https://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?forumID21&threadI
> D13498&messageID=138110#138110