ipvs and cluster firewall

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ipvs and cluster firewall
From: octane indice <octane@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:20:39 +0200
Hello

Do you know if you can do something like carp+pfsync with linux+ipvs.

My goal is to have two firewall, a master and a backup.
Both sharing the same IP: VIP

I can do it easily with keepalived and a VRRP method and same ruleset but it
means that all connections are lost when master comes down.

I want to know is ipvs is the solution.
I read the LVS Howto there:
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-
HOWTO.filter_rules.html
But it's more likely to put a firewall on top of the director.

I read then
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-
HOWTO.server_state_sync_demon.html

but I saw:"Note that the feature of connection synchronization is under
experiment now, and there is some performance penalty when connection
synchronization, because a highly loaded load balancer may need to multicast
a lot of connection information. If the daemon is not started, the performance
will not be affected. "

and from:
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-
HOWTO.failover.html
 Honestly, as good as LVS is for real server load balancing, for firewalls I
like
OpenBSD with CARP and pfsync. CARP+pfsync provides easy, scalable load
balancing and HA for firewalls. pf, the OpenBSD firewall, is very well written
and nicely designed. Give it a look, www.openbsd.com.
 Note
Carp is available for Linux too. "
 yes carp is available for linux but not pfsync which is what I need.

I have 2 questions:
First is it possible to use ipvs in this way?
        .----FW backup---.
INET---         |          +---LAN
        `----FW master---'
a master, a backup, firewall scripts and update in real time of the
ip_conntrack?

Second: and what if I add load balancing of servers from the firewall?

Thanks

"Ce Caillou-là" un conte en téléchargement gratuit sur http://www.Manuscrit.com