Re: couple questions...

Subject: Re: couple questions...
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 15:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

I'm horrible with ascii art... :-(

No,no, it's beautiful (the bold lines, the striking constrast, the original two fold symmetry...)

I guess we can look at it as a mini cluster with 4 servers. Servers A and B are application servers. Servers X and Y are database servers.

              (LVS)

             --------
             |      |
             X ---- Y
             |      |
             --------

              (LVS)

X and Y are redundant, replicated database servers. Both A and B would have their database connections load-balanced between X and Y.

So I was wondering if simply running LVS on BOTH server A and B, in order to achieve the load balancing, is feasible.

In this case, the LVS is really directing local connections (on A or B) to the X/Y servers. It is not directing external connections from the internet.

OK. Now I don't know why you're doing it, even after re-reading your original post.

Do you understand that you can't load balance database servers (X,Y in your diagram), at least the ones like mysql, postgresql. If you don't, read the section on database servers in the HOWTO. You can have one be a failover backup for the other, but that's about it.

I don't see why you have two LVS directors. The logical flow of connections is no different to that with one director. It's like having two routers, instead of one in front of X. If you want A and B to be a failover pair then you need a common connection from them to the outside world.

generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!