Re: max persistance time?

Subject: Re: max persistance time?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:22:15 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Joseph T. Duncan wrote:

c)The client shuts down and/or closes inappropriately the real server sits there, leaves the desktop and applications active. now here is were weirdness happens.

thanks for the description.

There is a similar scenario with a web interface to a cgi script. I run a map server, which draws a map and returns it in a webpage. If the client disconnect (hits "back", kills browser, goes elsewhere) while the map is being drawn (between submit and getting the map), the map process goes to 100% CPU and will run forever. Since I know how long it takes to draw a map, I have a cron job which kills any map processes that run longer.

This doesn't help you, but you aren't the only one with the problem.

connection happens.. (failer of some kind, wacko config? I don't know I cant really reproduce it, maybe they have some weird retarded personal router appliance at home???)

you may never find out.

real server kills off the active (but idle) desktop+applications in 1 day (there is a active but idle session autologout after x time setting on the real servers) these clients are the troublesome ones cause if they login a few times they will wind up with a active but idle desktop+application session on each real server

are these idle processes being a resource hog? If not, can you just put up with an app in a deranged but otherwise harmless state?

Can you differentiate the sessions you don't want from the ones that you want to stay idle? eg look in netstat to see if you have multiple sessions from one IP? (probably won't work, a whole bunch of people could be coming in through a proxy).

*some of these issues would be addressed by l7 balancing but currently the only commercial products that can do l7 balancing cost big $$$.

There is L7 code on the LVS website. It's experimental and few people have used it, so you'll have to figure it out yourself.

ipvsadm is started from a linked init script in /etc/rc2.d it loads its saved rules from /etc/ipvsadm.rules

so can I place --set x y z in /etc/ipvsadm.rules?

I don't use a rules file, but presumably it does the same thing as running ipvsadm commands, so "yes".

this didn't seem appropriate cause ipvsadm wont dump the change their when it rewrites that file upon a shutdown.

I don't know what changes you want to put in there, but I expect you could have a script update /etc/ipvsadm.rules.

Joseph Mack NA3T EME(B,D), FM05lw North Carolina jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!