Re: max persistance time?

Subject: Re: max persistance time?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:55:28 -0700 (PDT)
you must have used a different mail client for this posting, when I did reply, not all of it appeared in pine's window

> How do you handle the problem when there is no LVS?

I only had a single terminal server. So if a user had a dirty exit then either at 1 day of idle time they were killed off. Or if they reconnected, they got their session back.

ah so that's why you need persistence! (excuse me for being thick).

well in that case give them a persistence = 1 week, 1 month (in for a penny, in for a pound) - you've got a badly behaving app, you're justified in doing anything to handle it. If your director ever needs to go down (routine maintenance) you'll have a hell of a mess, so just don't let it go down (you should be able to keep it up for a year, and bring in a replacement machine at the end of the school year, or over xmas or whatever). If you need to bring it down unexpectedly, just set persistence to zero.

Look up the intro para about the -SH scheduler in the HOWTO. It might do what you want. If all the students are coming out of a single proxy, it won't work (but then persistence will see them all coming from the same IP too and it won't work either). You need clients coming from a lot more IPs (or proxies) than you have realservers for balancing to work.

How many IPs (proxies) are clients coming from? If they're all coming from 10.0.0.1 how are you going to get loadbalancing?