Re: max persistance time?

Subject: Re: max persistance time?
From: "Joseph T. Duncan" <duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:23:51 -0700 (PDT)

you must have used a different mail client for this posting, when I did reply, not all of it appeared in pine's window

i am using, Pine, Version 4.63 (built Fri Aug 19 18:00:15 PDT 2005)

How many IPs (proxies) are clients coming from? If they're all coming from 10.0.0.1 how are you going to get loadbalancing?

at present not many. we do use the whole 10.x.x.x range as our nat-proxy ;p net-engr decided to give people giant slices of it.. however it doesnt get used much. just special cases so far...

ie

when a wireless client that is not registered with the univeristy (mac addr not in dhcp servers records) it is tossed onto the proxy and presented with a page asking them to either register the device or auth with their univeristy account. if they opt to register, they get a real ip.. if they use ther univeristy account they are allowed to do whatever but still sit on the proxy'd side of the universe.

we also have one or two wifi (laptop) labs liveing in the proxy..

so i dont ever see too many of the people comeing from the proxy side of the world but it does happen... (plus who knows howmany people nat-firewall/proxy appliances in their homes.)

--

the fun part of terminal servers (the real servers) is diffrent customers can very so much on their impact to a real server.. Proffessors and Grad students have a much higher cpu/memory useage then undergrads. (right now the primary use of the realservers is for some statitics apps, so grads and proffessors start up big batch jobs for reasearchy stuff and walk away and comeback a few hours later, where undergrads just do enough to get their homework done)

Info:                           Email:
Joseph T. Duncan                duncan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
109 Kidder Hall
Corvalis Or 97333