Re: Virtual Login server

Subject: Re: Virtual Login server
From: Siim Põder <windo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:03:50 +0300
Yo!

Tom Kavanaugh wrote:
> Users ssh into one of these linux/solaris login servers and run the
> vnc server. The vnc server then gives them a vnc display number. The
> user then connects from his PC using the Windoze vnc client and
> points to the vnc server display number.

So how about load balancing the ssh connections but VNC-ing directly to
the real servers (if manual labour is already involved and the users can
handle it)?

It's possible you can make it work straight through virtual IPs with the
right scheduler and persistancy, but there are some reports of
persistancy not always working as expected.

>> Can you vnc through ssh (you've got to be able to do this)?
> Hmm.... I don't know. I can ssh into the login server, and then bring
> up the vnc server or vnc client.

Yes you can (vnc through ssh tunnel).

> Hope this helps.

Helps whom?