Re: Virtual Login server

Subject: Re: Virtual Login server
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Tom Kavanaugh wrote:

Hello,

I am newbie to this area, so pls excuse me if my questions are basic.

I have a bunch of VNC servers that users login to submit jobs to a compute grid. Currently, users login to individual login servers, and thus some login servers are more loaded than others.

I know this isn't why you posted, but how much of a load is a login causing on a login server, particularly when all it's going is submitting batch jobs to a grid. Couldn't one login server handle 1000 logins?

Now that I'm thinking about it, vnc is the program that allows you to display a windows window on a linux client. Are the login servers all windows, sending windowing commands etc back to (linux?) clients? In that case the login servers have a fair bit of work to do.

Also, users have no idea which of the VNC servers are more loaded and hence to avoid. I am looking to build a single login server that a user can login. And, then that virtual

I presume you mean "single login virtual server"

login server can direct the user login to another real login server.

Can someone tell me if LVS can do this?

don't know

Has it been implemented already?

did you look in the HOWTO?

Presumably there are multiple ports involved in the vnc connection. For LVS to work, the tcpip server end has to be on the vnc server (windows doesn't most network stuff peer-to-peer, rather than client-server like the internet - Bill Gates didn't think the internet was worth bothering about, at least till he saw that W95 would be a flop unless he could enable it for tcpip). Or else all the packets have to be encapsulated in a single port tcpip stream, like an ssh connection. Can you vnc through ssh (you've got to be able to do this)?

Do you know what ports are involved?

why are your login servers vnc/windows?