Re: Virtual Login server

Subject: Re: Virtual Login server
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 06:21:54 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Tom Kavanaugh wrote:

We are talking Linux/Unix here, no Windoze pls!.

this is still not clear. Why are you using vnc if there is no windows here? I'm also not clear on what you are trying to load balance - the login and/or the VNC sesssion and I don't know which boxes are where. How about a diagram of the setup without LVS, showing the OS, and the location of the VNC client/server, login client/server, job scheduler, where the graphics are displayed etc.

Yes, all the current login servers in my env are RedHat Linux, Solaris.

I don't understand what they're doing, see below

Users do run interactive graphics jobs on the compute grid. This does impose
a load on the login servers. 10-15 users is what we would like to see on a
single linux/solaris login server. Beyond that does slow down response.

OK

Users ssh into one of these linux/solaris login servers and run the vnc
server. The vnc server then gives them a vnc display number. The user then
connects from his PC using the Windoze vnc client and points to the vnc
server display number.

Why don't you have the clients VNC directly to the VNC server and start their jobs there?

did you look in the HOWTO?
I already looked there, but did not find any info related to vnc logins.

that's the answer.

Do you know what ports are involved?
VNC starts using ports from 5900. The first user is on port 5901, second on
5902, and so on.

OK you'll have to LVS the ssh connection that VNC is tunnelled through.