Director and Real servers on different networks

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Director and Real servers on different networks
From: Andre Nathan <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:11:22 -0300
Hello

I have an LVS-DR setup which is working correctly like this:

       +--------------+
       | LVS director |
       +--------------+
         /    |    \
        /     |     \
       /      |      \
    +---+   +---+
    |   |   |   |    ...
    +---+   +---+
        Real servers

The director and the real servers are all on the same network (say,
a.b.c.0/24) and share an IP address (say, a.b.c.d) for the load-balanced
service.

Now, we're migrating to a new range of IPs (say, x.y.z.0/24). I've tried
adding a new real server (which has its real IP on the new range, say,
x.y.z.w) to the existing configuration (that is, added a.b.c.d as an
address to a dummy interface).

The configuration seems to be working correctly (i.e., the connections
are redirected to this new server). However, ipvsadm always reports the
number of active connections as 0 for that server, and thus all new
connections are being redirected to it, and none to the pre-existing
servers (I'm using the wlc algorithm).

Is this a supported configuration? Is there some assumption made by
ipvsadm on the servers being all on the same network, or that dummy
interface addresses and real addresses must be on the same network?

The director kernel version is 2.6.12, and ipvsadm is 1.24.

Thanks in advance,
Andre