Re: all clients disconnect on failover

Subject: Re: all clients disconnect on failover
From: "Sebastian Vieira" <sebvieira@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:55:31 +0200
On 10/10/06, Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you're using keepalived (I'm sure you said you were), then these are
the gratuitous ARP (GARP) packets being sent out to refresh everyone's
ARP cache with the MAC of the new director.

I have a theory here, though... you're doing NAT. Therefore the director
is the default gateway for the realservers - is the address of their
default gateway the same as the VIP?

Not at the moment. These are ancient (hospital-specific) servers, which
we're not allowed to modify. Well, not allowed .... i prefer not to change
it if it can be done in some other way. If it can't .. well ....  :)

If not, you need another vrrp_instance defined which makes the default
gateway fail over to the backup director.

Graeme

I'll try that, and i just got another idea here:  what if i spoof a mac
address (macchanger) and have it fail over to the other director (via the
notify_* scripts)? Would that work?

Kind regards,

Sebastian