Memory leak

Subject: Memory leak
From: abang <abang@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:33:30 +0100
I want to use LVS with DR. All worked fine on first tests. But if I stress LVS with 500 TCP-connectiions per second, I can see a big memory leak. The server is leaking about 1GB in a day! It is not possible to freeing the laked memory without a reboot. The memory leak is in the slab. "size-2048" is growing.

I am using a SLES Kernel, and I tried 2.6.5-7 and 2.6.16-21. Same leak in both cases!

I have made further trails. It's very easy to reproduce the failure with the newest 2.6.19.1 kernel. To see the leak I do a

while true; do
   wget -nv -q -t 1 -T 3 -O - http://VIP/test.gif >/dev/null 2>&1
done

on the client. This loop is generating about 60 connections per second. Parallel I watch the size of the "size-2048" container in the slabtop tool of the director machine. It is growing with about 2K per second!

This is my test configuration:

# ipvsadm -S
-A -t VIP:http -s wlc
-a -t VIP:http -r REALSERVER1:http -g -w 1

# ipvsadm -L --timeout
Timeout (tcp tcpfin udp): 900 5 20

I can not believe that there is a so obviously bug in LVS. Is there something wrong in my configuration? How can I isolate the reason of the memory leak?

Winfried