TFTP Virtual Service using LVS

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: TFTP Virtual Service using LVS
From: "K Natarajan-A16638" <natarajan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:34:24 +0800
LVS users,

I am trying to create a TFTP virtual service using the binaries provided
at www.ultramonkey.org. I want to support High Capacity, High
Availability and Load Balancing on my TFTP virtual service where the
Real servers directly respond to the client requests without having to
go through Linux Director again. I tried to create the service using the
configuration provided at the link below.

http://www.ultramonkey.org/3/topologies/hc-ha-lb-eg.html

I was able to get the load balancing and high availability working but I
could not get the TFTP service to work. Using ethereal I observed the
following.

The real server was responding to the client TFTP get request and
sending a the first block of the file in a UDP packet with the virtual
IP as the source IP address and arbitrary source port (say 33212). The
TFTP client responds with an UDP acknowledgement message with the
virtual IP address as the target IP address and the target port equal to
33212. This request goes to the Linux director which ignores the packet
as it does not have any service running on 33212.

Does LVS work for UDP based services?. How does the Linux Director
distinguish between clients for UDP based services?. If this
configuration is not suitable for TFTP service, can you recommend any
other configuration which can be used for providing a High capacity TFTP
service?

I am not sure if this question has been answered before. Can you please
point to the appropriate link if this question has already been
answered?

Thanks,
Natarajan