Re: TFTP Virtual Service using LVS

Subject: Re: TFTP Virtual Service using LVS
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:51:35 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, K Natarajan-A16638 wrote:

LVS users,

I am trying to create a TFTP virtual service using the binaries provided
at www.ultramonkey.org. I want to support High Capacity, High
Availability and Load Balancing on my TFTP virtual service where the
Real servers directly respond to the client requests without having to
go through Linux Director again.

With LVS, packets from the client go to the director before being forwarded to the realservers.

I tried to create the service using the
configuration provided at the link below.

http://www.ultramonkey.org/3/topologies/hc-ha-lb-eg.html

I was able to get the load balancing and high availability working

how do you know this?

but I
could not get the TFTP service to work.

this statement is incompatible with the first half of your sentence.

Using ethereal I observed the
following.

The real server was responding to the client TFTP get request and
sending a the first block of the file in a UDP packet with the virtual
IP as the source IP address and arbitrary source port (say 33212). The
TFTP client responds with an UDP acknowledgement message with the
virtual IP address as the target IP address and the target port equal to
33212. This request goes to the Linux director which ignores the packet
as it does not have any service running on 33212.

the request goes to the director, which being a router, forwards it to the realservers.

Does LVS work for UDP based services?.

yes, but not many people are using it for UDP.

How does the Linux Director
distinguish between clients for UDP based services?.

by the client IP.