Re: [lvs-users] Some users slow loading..

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Some users slow loading..
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 14:38:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Dan Baughman wrote:

> The more hops out

the further away the client, the worse the problem?

> the more the issue presents itself.  I am trying to by
> pass the loadbalancer in the problem case to see if it is even the issue.

>>> Just to follow up on this, the packet loss appeared to
>>> be an unrelated issue.  If I connect directly to a
>>> realserver, the page loads fairly fast. If I connect
>>> through the loadbalancer ( and get the same real server)
>>> I see a lot of tcp retranmissions and such (as sniffed
>>> from the real server). I can't figure it out.  The
>>> delays appear to be from the RTO (retrans timeout). I
>>> saw a patch from miccy soft about the mtu discovery and
>>> have installed, I also tried disabling mtu discovery.

following up on Graeme's suggestion (if it turns out not to
be a problem with the internet)...

turn the director into a passthrough router to one
realserver (turn ip_forward on, take down the VIP, have the
director advertise a route to the VIP eg use a host route).
That way you'll have the director hardware, cables in the
packet path. (I'm assuming the direct path
client<->realserver is OK, since direct connection to the
realserver has no problems).

is it with all realservers?