Re: [lvs-users] Are LVS / ldirectord Multithreaded?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Are LVS / ldirectord Multithreaded?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:25:10 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Robinson, Eric wrote:

> are lvs and ldirectord multithreaded? I suspect LVS is and
> ldirectord (being a perl script) is not.

lvs is a bunch of hooks into the linux routing/packet
handling code. LVS is as multithreaded as the linux routing
code. I hadn't thought about the threadedness of kernel
code. I assume it isn't but I don't know.

I expect ldirectord isn't multithreaded. It doesn't have to
be fast.

> We have a load balancer that is working pretty hard. It's
> a single-core Celeron 2.4GHz machine with 512MB RAM. It
> runs about 40-70% CPU utilization on average, with peaks
> to 99%. If I replace it with a dual-core machine, will the
> load balancing process benefit from multiple cores?

this is in the HOWTO. LVS doesn't benefit from multiple CPUs
(or it didn't last we looked)

This is a fairly hefty load. I didn't think that packet
pushing could do this. What sort of packet throughput are
you getting? Are you using LVS-DR or LVS-NAT? Is the
director doing anything else as well? Some nics are better
at handling the packets on-board, but I don't know what they
are. Have you looked into getting the best nics? From
postings on this list you should avoid Broadcom. Some people
like Intel.