[lvs-users] Multiple IPs required on interfaces?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Multiple IPs required on interfaces?
From: James Yale <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:15:06 +0100
Hi,

I've got a configured and functioning failover pair of load balancers
that I've just come to add another interface to, in this case the VIP is
in our external DMZ where we've only got 16 public IPs.

On the other networks each load balancer has had an IP address, aswell
as the shared VIP and everything has worked as expected, however now
addresses are at higher contention I've tried to just configure the LVS
boxes to only have the VIP on the new network (via haresources).

When I try use the new configuration the boxes bring up the interfaces
correctly, can ping other hosts (gateway, other servers) on the target
networks but not the real servers, whereas the real servers suffer no
disruption pinging the VIP (which does transfer).

The result is that with the load balancers configured in this way they
don't pass traffic to the real servers, presumably for the same reason
they can't ping them, but I'm not sure why this is  - they have an IP on
the correct subnet and the routes in place.

Are the extra interfaces/IPs required on every network, if not, could
anyone suggest what I might try next or if this has been discussed
before, point be in the direction of that thread (I couldn't find
anything, but couldn't come up with decent search terms either).

Thanks,

James
j.yale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx