Re: [lvs-users] Multiple IPs required on interfaces?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Multiple IPs required on interfaces?
From: James Yale <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 10:10:07 +0100
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, James Yale wrote:
>

>> On the other networks
>>

> what is "other"
>

>> each load balancer has had an IP address, aswell
>> as the shared VIP and everything has worked as expected, however now
>> addresses are at higher contention I've tried to just configure the LVS
>> boxes to only have the VIP on the new network (via haresources).
>>

> what is the "new" network?
>
> there's only one place you can have the VIP on a realserver.
> Your last sentence indicates that you have a choice of where
> to put it.
>
> Joe

Sorry, should have been clearer with how I referred to the shared IP.

If I've got a single network I would setup the load balancers/real
servers as follows:

192.168.0.0/24:

192.168.0.5 - lvs01
192.168.0.6 - lvs02
192.168.0.10 - shared service VIP (via haresources)
192.168.0.15 - real server

So I need to use 3 IP addresses, 2 for the load balancers and one for
the VIP the load balancers present.

I have several additional networks on which I want to provide the load
balanced service, but one is a /28 so only provides 14 usable addresses.
Is it required to have an IP for each load balancer on that network
aswell as the service VIP, or can I just use the VIP on the networks eg:

10.249.16.128/28 (small network)

10.249.16.130 - lvs01
10.249.16.131 - lvs02
10.249.16.132 - shared service VIP
10.249.16.133 - real server

Or for less IP use the load balancers don't have additional interfaces
on the network, use the VIP to talk to the real servers:

10.249.16.132 - shared service VIP
10.249.16.133 - real server

The second setup doesn't seem to work, I'm unsure why not (ARP issue),
but I'm pursuing this because it saves 2/3 of the IP requirement on the
small network.

Thanks,

James