Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT only works when tcpdump runs on director

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS-NAT only works when tcpdump runs on director
From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:55:02 +0300
On 04/08/2010 10:19 PM, svensven wrote:
> On 2010-04-08 18:54, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
>> I've noticed that if I run a tcpdump, for instance
>>      tcpdump -i any -ln host 192.168.0.50
>> on the director, wget just works, [...]
>
> You'll find that this is due to tcpdump putting the interface in
> promiscuous mode. The same effect can be achieved with either of
>
>    ip link set dev <dev> promisc on
>    ifconfig <dev> promisc

I have tried putting either (and both) of the director's interfaces in
promiscuos mode and the behaviour is not the same as running tcpdump,
i.e. I still get 'Connection refused'.

> I don't know OpenVZ, but is definitely related to how the packet
> forwarding is done there. I would also recommend trying to get DR to
> work properly.

I have modified the setup to use DR (just a simple setup, the first
example at [1]), but the problem is exactly the same: properly
functioning network, but I only get expected results while running
tcpdump. I suspect it's OpenVZ related, rather than LVS.

Thanks for your help,
Vlad

[1] http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-DR.html