[lvs-users] Kernel Tuning for LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] Kernel Tuning for LVS
From: Neal B <nrbwpi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 14:16:25 -0400
Hello,

Over the past day I have been searching the net for the definitive answer
for the recommended tweaks to the kernel for ipvs.  If you are doing this
then change this, but that does not exist.  :)

I see suggestions on the net for changing all of the following:

/proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
/proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default
/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
/proc/sys/fs/filemax
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_tw_recycle
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_tw_reuse
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_max_tw_buckets
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_max_syn_backlog
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range
/proc/sys/net/core/netdev_max_backlog

I assume that these values are very specific to the desired goal your load
balancer is trying to achieve.

I am currently seeing on our lvs active/passive pair a drop in connections
every 10 minutes undder high load.  Turning off the ipvs_sync daemon caused
this 10 minute spikes in failures to disappear.  The 10 min spike in
failures is gone however now failures seem to be following the number of
connections.  High connection = Higher error.  We have a full GIGE internet
connection and pass TBs of traffic per day in an LVS-NAT setup.  Changing
the magic parameter above in the kernel is going to increase the maximum
allowed connections.

We do see this error:

IPVS: ip_vs_send_async error

Checking out prior posts this will help and we can implement:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg04479.html

Can a few experts on this list suggest which of the values above to target
tuning first?

Thank you,
Neal