Re: [lvs-users] Firewall on LVS NAT

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Firewall on LVS NAT
From: Jay Faulkner <jay.faulkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:51:25 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:lvs-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brent Jensen
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 12:29 AM
To: LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.

More info. I now realize that these dropped packets are FIN and RST ACKs
being blocked, probably because my rules to the VIP include: -m state
--state NEW -j ACCEPT. Can these dropped packets affect the TCP
connections, resulting in client connection issues?

Brent,

I feel particularly sad for you, I had to troubleshoot this same issue and had
a very, very bad week.

In my environment, I was able to fix the problem by recompiling my kernel with
Julian's NFCT patchset: http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/nfct/ (something similar to this
will be in 2.6.36, Hooray!). I'm not sure exactly why it happens, but I suspect
that iptables can't get a good take on the "STATE" of a connection in LVS,
because LVS partially bypasses netfilter.

Give it a shot and let me know how it works.

--
Jason Faulkner
Linux Engineer