Re: Linux Virtual Server and Microsoft SQL Server

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Linux Virtual Server and Microsoft SQL Server
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:15:49 +0200
On 1999-06-21T12:21:23,
   Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> dynamic load balancing is being worked on - nothing ready yet

Difficult to do with a MS machine as the server. Can they be polled via SNMP
for load ?

Otherwise it may be necessary to write a small program to be run on the NT
systems which return some useful metric (or broadcast that in regular
intervals via udp).

Computing the load of each machine into some sort of useful weight for the
scheduler is also going to be interesting, but this will leave some fun to
experiment with.

Dynamic analysing of the flows on the network to see which machine is having
which delays is a neat idea which just occured to me, but really hard to get
right ;-)

I also should point out that I think mon is not suitable for these tasks,
because it has too little concept of hosts but only hostgroups and the
monitoring / load gathering should IMHO be done by one process.

Just my 5 eurocents on this topic.

> no, but it's a good idea, we could put it on the todo list.
> What do you want?

Lets examine what happens now with SSL session comeing in from a big proxy,
like AOL. Since they are all from the same host, they get forwarded to the
same server - *thud*.

Now, SSL carries a "session id" which identifies all requests from a browser.
This can be used to separate the multiple SSL sessions, even if comeing in
from one big proxy and load balance them.

Special support for this may be hard to do. The F5 big/ip does this though.
(The f5 is incredibly feature rich but incredibly expensive IMHO)

We might go one step further and check for the "X-Forwarded-For: 1.1.1.1"
header in the http stream and also do this for general webserving, which would
be cool. This can't be done using pure TCP level switching though.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

--
Lars Marowsky-Brée
Network Management

teuto.net Netzdienste GmbH - DPN Verbund-Partner