Re: Question

To: <hack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Question
From: "Ted Pavlic" <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:15:27 -0400
What's wrong with using a load balancer like LVS? Collecting information
from the user at a "virtual POP3 server" first and then somehow
communicating with other servers (by either a proprietary protocol or a
wrapper around POP3) would only cause extra load on the external POP3 server
and would be a little messy.

Setup a machine running LVS that load balances port 110. (Use the algorithm
of your liking to do the load balancing) I'm GUESSING that direct routing
would be best in your situation. A connection will come into the LVS, be
direct routed to a mail server, and the mail server will do all the POP3
specific stuff. (Authentication...etc...) Packets back to the end-user will
be sent through a gateway other than the LVS. I find this to be a very nice
way of doing exactly what you want to do. All you have to worry about is
making sure that everything is in sync between your real servers. (And using
NFS to share your mailspool is a fine idea. (Just be careful about file
locking and RedHat 6.0 <sigh>) You can push your password file from an admin
machine to all your real servers using rsh or ssh...)

I think that's a much simpler solution that'll actually work a little
better. (and that's what this list is all about :) )