Re: Question

To: Ilan Steemers <koed@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Question
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Paul Monaghan <paulm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:08:24 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Ilan Steemers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How would you handle the data integrity across the servers? If mail
> comes in it would have to be distributed among all the server, cause
> you don't know where the user is going to pop. When a user pop's on a
> server, you would have to delete those mail's on the other server as
> well. Load balancing works fine for HTTP and FTP cause the data for
> those are pretyy static. SMTP would be fine too, but POP? I doubt if
> that will work. Oh wait, you could run those servers on a single high
> speed shared scsi device. That way there's only one copy of the data.
> Those systems are rather expensive, but it might work.

At the last ISP I work for we designed the system from scratch and load
balanced smtp,pop,imap,http and ftp.  We used high availbility NFS servers
from Network Appliance (F760) and used a NFS safe message storage format
called MAILDIR.  The NFS traffic was on it's own dual attached FDDI ring
so as not to slow down the primary network connections.  It all worked
flawlessly.  Everything was stored on NFS, message store, web pages
everything.  BTW, if anyone is curious we used a BigIP from F5 labs as our
load balancer.

Paul
---
PM1819 | paulm@xxxxxxxxxx