Re: ARP problems + patch (the last?)

To: ad@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ARP problems + patch (the last?)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, support@xxxxxxxxx
From: "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:58:53 -0400
This is great!  I had not worried about this because my servers are behind a
router which will get ARP'd separately.  Obviously this is needed in more
general
usage.

After we test this a bit more, I'd like to clean up my code a bit, add a patch
description line for my original patch along with yours, and submit it to
linux-kernel.  This doesn't solve the problem at the source but does create a
more
correct kernel, especially for our purposes.

Should we add a patch to prevent ARP's from being sent for other devices?  I
mentioned before that when you have two ethernet devices on the same network
segment, each will answer for an IP that only one of the interfaces has.

Now all we need is layer 3 routing to be completely state of the art.  Difficult
to do in a DR setup, probably requires NAT or possibly TUN.  The idea is to
allow
the router to start a TCP connection, read in the header (in the case of HTTP
especially) watching for cookies, domain names, etc., and then replay the
initial
transmissions to the server selected, thereafter just acting as a dumb router.
The server would be selected based on where the user had been last or the URL
path
in addition to more direct load balancing.

This is required if your application requires that all connections for the same
session talk to the same box.  Many simple CGI programs would fall into this
category, while some or most application servers handle this problem by
replicating the session state with other servers either through the database or,
better, by directly replicating to the other servers.

Several companies appear to support this, including iPivot.  They can even
notice
that the server returned 404 errors or too busy errors and replay the request to
another server.

sdw

--
OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw@xxxxxxx   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st