Re: LVS on Mandrake 7.0 - continued

To: Andreas Schiffler <schiffler@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS on Mandrake 7.0 - continued
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:34:00 -0400
Andreas Schiffler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the response Joe.
>
> I am in the process of compiling a stock 2.2.14 kernel with the 0.9.10
> VS patch. Maybe this will help ... I will report on failure or sucess.

> The "error" is simply that there is no response from the VS cluster. I
> am using Netscape as client, apache as server and the setup is
> configured for port 80.

Presumably the connection has hung then and when you run
ipvsadm  -L on the directory you'll get 1 inactive connection
registering.

netscape isn't a terribly helpful client when thing fail.
for what you're doing here.

telnet'ing to port 80 and doing a  "GET /" is better.
Presumably this will hang too.

Is your httpd listening to the VIP?

> Telnet is disabled (and locked with portsentry)
> for security reasons ... I am maintaining the VS cluster remotely.

I was looking for a simpler client/server pair. Telnet listens on all
IPs and the response seen at the client end is more obvious. Try ftp
(if you have it) or ssh (surprisingly it is a simple 1 port service)
instead.

> How could I check of the tunneling worked? Is there a way to monitor
> this process (i.e. packes leaving the load balancer)? I check the tunl0
> interface on the real server with ifconfig ... no packets received on
> tunl0. That means the load balancer has send out no packets, the packets
> got lost during transfer or the real server does not receive or process
> the packets..

covers a lot of territory :-)

do you have arp turned off on the tunl0 device (ie have you handled
the arp problem)?

> The cluster is connected via a 3COM 24port switch - could that be the
> problem (i.e. the switch filters the encapsulated packets)?

no. The only problems switches introduce is that you won't see packets
on other nodes with tcpdump as the packets go directly between 2 modes.
This doesn't affect a functioning LVS.