Re: piranha with redhat 6.2

To: ian <ian.martins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: piranha with redhat 6.2
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Keith Barrett <kbarrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:26:47 -0400
ian wrote:
> Although I can ping the master router's virtual public IP address from the
> next box over, I can't get to the web page from lynx (or any browser). It
> just times out.  But if I do a "ipvsadm -l" on the current master router, it
> says that one of the real servers has an inactive connection.  Why doesn't
> it connect?

One possibility is that you cannot reach the port number of the service.
This would explain why a ping or telnet to the VIP works, but the service
itself is seen as failing. Try telneting to that sepcific port number
as well. If telnet can't reach it, piranha can't either.

> The virtual public IP address that the master router opens always has a
> netmask of 255.255.0.0 . Is there any way to change this? The way the test
> network is set up I need the netmask to be 255.255.255.128 .

This has been discussed here before -- I'll let others handle it.

> Another thing I don't understand:  Although I can't ping the virtual IP
> address from farther away on the test network while it has the netmask
> 255.255.0.0, I'll still get an inactive connection if I try to get to it
> from lynx.  I'd expected the browser to say that it is unable to reach the
> location. (if I manually change it's netmask to 255.255.255.128, then I can
> ping it, and again, I get an inactive connection)

I'm not sure I understand either. Again; it has some of the signs that
it's a problem reaching the service port rather than the server.

> If I open lynx on either of the routers, I can get to the web pages on
> either of the real servers, so I assume apache is ok.

Make sure, BTW, that you aren't actually reaching web servers running on
the router itself. Some people have run web servers on the routers (so the
piranha GUI can configure the servers for example), and have mistaken their
attempts at connecting to them (via the VIP) as a successful connection to
a real server web service.

If you still believe you are having problems specific to piranha, could
you log an entry in http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla so it can be
tracked?

Thanks

Keith Barrett