Re: an alternative to coda and RAID for mirroring under LVS

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: an alternative to coda and RAID for mirroring under LVS
Cc: Madhav <msp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Donald Ball <balld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:46:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Joseph Mack wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Madhav wrote:
>
> >     So I was wondering whether is there any other way of doing mirroring of
> > data apart from coda or RAID because we decided against going for them.
>
> This is a difficult problem and many people are waiting for a good
> solution. Would NFS exporting the file system from a single server
> do?

Then you've got yourself a single point of failure again. Why not just
have an hourly mirror, or better yet, a mirror script that rolls content
out from a test staging server to your real production servers? I'm
writing a set of these in XSLT and bash; it's fairly site-specific but
it's not hard.

- donald