Re: Turbo linux clusters as compared to lvs?

To: mack@xxxxxxxxxxx (Joseph Mack), catls@xxxxxxxxx, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Turbo linux clusters as compared to lvs?
From: Andrej Brodnik (Andy) <brodnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:57:27 +0200 (CEST)
Hi there,

I'd just like to clarify something here (and most definetely I don't want to
start any kind of flame-war):

> Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 17:58:38 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Turbo linux clusters as compared to lvs?

> On Sun, 14 May 2000, catls wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how a turbolinux cluster used for load-balancing fares
> > when compared with the lvs load balancing scheme?.
>
> This is a somewhat sensitive topic on this list. The turbolinux people
> used the LVS GPL'ed code to make their own non GPL'ed version of LVS ...

This is simply not true. The reason that I can give such an authorative answer
is that I personally participated in the design of the product for
TurboLinux. The design of the code for TurboClusterServer 4.0 was done
completely from scratch (indeed Turbolinux put such a requirement to us before
we even started the design). To clarify even further, the TCS 4.0 consists of
several pieces of SW -- kernel and user space. In particular, the kernel-space
is under GPL and can be found on their ftp site somewhere.

I hope this clarifies the missunderstanding.

Regards,

Andrej