Re: Scalability

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Scalability
Cc: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, S Ashok Kumar <gsaki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:39:58 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello jamal,

On Mon, 15 May 2000, jamal wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2000, Julian Anastasov wrote:
>

> >     Yes.  This is only one real example. With keep alive
> > ON,  most of  the connections can  be closed  first from the
> > client.
>
> But it does explain the reduced ratio you see ;->

        Yes, sorry :)

> > > 2.3 networking scales linearly with number of processors. Example typical
> > > routing max capacities are around 30-40K packets/sec; same in 2.3 but if
> > > you add another procesor, you end somewhere in the 60-70Kpps with 2.3 (2.2
> > > doesnt change).
> >
> >     You forgot to describe the hardware :)
>
> Sorry, this was the same motherboard with one processor and then two
> processors so the numbers are relative; a really shitty motherboard known
> as the ABIT6 which can take upto 2 400Mhz (?)celeron processors.
> 64MB of RAM.

        OK

> > > your connection setup because it includes a little more overhead than
> > > typical routing should get less performance.
> >
> >     Right.  With faster enough CPU this is only latency,
> > not  less performance! If  we start to  drop packets this is
> > bad.
>

> I would think it would be a little more complicated than that.
> Depends on a lot of other tunings (simple example: if you use DMAing NICs,
> how big are those receive Ring/lists). Latency would probably hover around
> the PCI latency then.

        I  agree. There are so many things involved.  May be
we  will receive  help from the  gurus about  tuning the LVS
performance on SMP: which primitives to prefer, etc.

> >     Lets see his results :)
>
> I hope he's going to do it.
> >
> >     Well,  I didn't  performed such  tests. That doesn't
> > mean  that there are no such tests. Please, I'm not the only
> > LVS user :)
> >

> I thought you were one of the developers (in which case this should
> concern you).

        Yes,  but I don't have  resources for such tests, at
least  on such high-end  level.  There are  other people who
performed  some tests. I can only  help the LVS code to work
better.   Of course, I'm  interested too see  such tests and
their  results.   In  these  days  when  the  hardware speed
changes  so  rapidly  we  can be  always  surprised  for the
numbers.

> >     I  don't know  your needs, really!  If this hardware
> > is faster and cheaper and you think that is enough just save
> > your  money and  don't buy PC  :) The  people have different
> > needs.   One needs  PIII 2GB LVS  box another  can live with
> > 128MB box :) I can't give you the universal solution.
> >
> >     The  only thing I can do  is to explain the details.
> > The  users always have questions about the LVS internals.  I
> > can't  tell you "You must use LVS  - It is free".  There are
> > so  many things that must be  considered. May be the simpler
> > answer  is "Buy hardware for load balancing. It has good TCP
> > stack  and  it  is  without  bugs  and  ...".   May  be this
> > hardware  is better, may be the support is better.  Why not!
> > Why the only load balancing solution must be LVS?
>
> I am just a curious observer as far as LVS is concerned. I have absolutely
> no need for it (maybe at some later point, since i know exists).
>
> I am not asking you to justify why LVS exists or why people should use
> LVS; i am just making a statement that load balancing h/ware is becoming
> commodity. If the trend continues, you should be able to buy a black box
> worth $200 which will have the same features as LVS does; perhaps i am

        And may be other features too :)

> exagerating a bit, but if this is the case, why should someone continue to
> use LVS? I was hoping you will enlighten me in some way instead you become
> defensive and give me a marketing pitch.

        I  will try but you know everything that I will say.

        Be  more specific. Your question "why should someone
continue  to use LVS?" is not correct. This is like "How LVS
will  save the world" :) Or  "Why should I buy this hardware
when  I can use software (LVS)  ?". What can I say.  Because
it  is fast? How faster, you ask :) I can't compare LVS with
something  I don't know.  And $200  is the only we know. How
you  will put 512MB RAM in $200 box :) Don't surpise us with
such  facts until we have something to compare :) What about
if I say "LVS will cost you $1" because the director box can
be  used also as web  server.  You buy 2  PC for web and run
LVS  on one  of them  :) We  just saved  $200 by  not buying
hardware!!! Or may be this hardware can run web?

        And  the LVS features  are present in  the web site.
What  is the information that is not visible? The internals?
I can give you answers but for specific questions :)

> Maybe someone else has an answer.

        Yes, may be someone not involved in our thread.

        I agree with you!

        But  after giving this price of  $200 we have to pay
to  someone to  maintain this box.  May be the  price of the
product  is not meaningful! Everyone must evaluate the costs
for  maintainance.  If we compare  the product price and the
costs  after buying the product, for example, for a high-end
cluster,  the first one will be 1/n of the other.  Sorry for
my  english but you understand me.  So, the initial price is
may  be not meaningful. The rest  is the performance and the
maintainance.   Here  we give  some facts  with you  but the
whole  picture is not in just  buying the balancer.  We have
different  users with  different abilities  to maintain such
product.   They will decide which  is the better variant for
them.   Of course, may be LVS  don't have some features that
are  present in the  other balancers.  We  accept many ideas
for  improvements but we try to keep the code simpler and to
implement  features which are useful for many users.

        We  are  very  happy  that in  linux  2.[34]  we can
increase  the director throughput.   We will try  to use the
per-processor  networking in the new  kernels and to improve
the access to the shared data.

        You  agree,  our  dispute  is  only  theoretical and
hypothetical.  I can't give  you the numbers  you want. They
change.   But examples exist on the web site. Sometimes they
appear  in  the mailing  list  too. Isn't  that  a marketing
pitch :)

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>