Re: LVS & Multiple DSL Lines

To: Jon Oringer <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS & Multiple DSL Lines
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:49:11 -0700
On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 12:37:32PM -0700, Jon Oringer wrote:
> I understand the LVS application for 1 internet connection (say 15 MBits)
> and 10 servers - each of which will have an equal load...
>
> But -- My situation is a bit different.. I have 10 separate 1.5Mbit DSL
> Lines.. (a total of 15Mbits)... and 10 servers.. Each box serves web pages
> only (via apache).. Right now I planned to use only round robin DNS for each
> of the 10 servers to balance the load.. there is a sep. disk servers
> avail via. NFS.  Each box looks exactly the same from the web (they all
> share the same web
> directory via. NFS).
>
> The examples for LVS describes one internet line, and multiple servers..
>
> Can LVS be used for multiple internet lines, and multiple servers?
> Or should I just stick with round robin DNS?

LVS is able to provide vitual services. If you can have traffic to
the virtual services routed (from your provider(s)) down each of your
10 DSL lines then you will be fine. You can route the return traffic
either accoding to this or asymetrically. Essentially to do this you
will probably need your own IP address space and more than likely your
own AS number and rub BGP to each of your upstreams. If all of the
links are to the same upstream then you can have the same address space
routed to down all of the lines and do line balancing across the
links. Again, for this to work with inbound traffic you will need
your provider to coopertate. Other than this you are stuck with
DNS round robbin, though using a fwmark LVS virtual service you
could load balance this traffic internally once it hits your network
to ensure that the apache servers are used more evenly.

--
Horms