Re: Announce ldirectord version 1.13

To: "Horms" <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Announce ldirectord version 1.13
Cc: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ted Pavlic" <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:23:38 -0400
> The fwmark support in LVS is designed to permit large numbers of
> virtual servers with the same IP address. It has the advantage of
> simplfying the amount of _kernel_ configuration that has to be done
> which is a big win, even if this is automated by a user space application.
>
> Briefly this is how it works.
> e.g.
>
> ipvsadm -A -f 1 -s rr
> ipvsadm -a -f 1 -r 192.168.6.3:80 -m
> ipvsadm -a -f 1 -r 192.168.6.2:80 -m

Huh -- that's interesting. I haven't been keeping myself updated on the new
features added to IPVS. That little trick there could make things a lot
smoother on the LVS -- it would take a great deal less time to bring up and
down real servers.

A couple of items:

First of all, for me to enable

* persistent connections
* to every port
* using direct routing,

would this do the trick:

ipvsadm -A -f 1 -s rr -p 1800
ipvsadm -a -f 1 -r 216.69.192.201:0 -g
ipvsadm -a -f 1 -r 216.69.192.202:0 -g

?

<sigh> Well the rest of that makes sense. I suppose I have some decision
making to do. I'm still not sure I really want to use ldirectord/heartbeat.
I'm almost positive I don't want to use heartbeat in my particular
situation. I'm pretty happy with the solution I have there...

However I really do appreciate the tip about the fwmark stuff -- That might
make things a lot nicer. :)