Re: Announce ldirectord version 1.13

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Announce ldirectord version 1.13
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:55:50 -0700
On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 02:23:38PM -0400, Ted Pavlic wrote:
> Huh -- that's interesting. I haven't been keeping myself updated on the new
> features added to IPVS. That little trick there could make things a lot
> smoother on the LVS -- it would take a great deal less time to bring up and
> down real servers.
>
> A couple of items:
>
> First of all, for me to enable
>
> * persistent connections
> * to every port
> * using direct routing,
>
> would this do the trick:
>
> ipvsadm -A -f 1 -s rr -p 1800
> ipvsadm -a -f 1 -r 216.69.192.201:0 -g
> ipvsadm -a -f 1 -r 216.69.192.202:0 -g

Yes, that would work. The port in the "ipvsadm -a" commands is ignored
if the real servers are being added to a fwmark service. Connections
will be sent to the port on the real server that they will be recieved on
the virtual server. So port 80 traffic will go to port 80, port 443 traffic
will go to port 443 etc...

As a caveat you should really make sure that your ipchains statments
catch all traffic for the given addresses including ICMP traffic so
ICMP traffic is handled correctly by LVS.

> <sigh> Well the rest of that makes sense. I suppose I have some decision
> making to do. I'm still not sure I really want to use ldirectord/heartbeat.
> I'm almost positive I don't want to use heartbeat in my particular
> situation. I'm pretty happy with the solution I have there...
>
> However I really do appreciate the tip about the fwmark stuff -- That might
> make things a lot nicer. :)

No problem, the fwmark support is of course indepentant of heartbeat.

--
Horms