Re: FWMARK scheduling/persistence

To: Ted Pavlic <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FWMARK scheduling/persistence
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 07:44:24 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Ted Pavlic wrote:

> When using FWMARK to assign real servers to virtual servers, how is
> scheduling and persistence handled?
>
> That is... In my particular example, I have:
>
> 216.69.196.0/22
>
> All marked with an FWMARK of 1. I then have my IPVSADM setup as such:
>
> Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
>   -> RemoteAddress:Port          Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
> FWM  1 lc persistent 600
>   -> nw01:0                      Route   1      0          0
>   -> nw02:0                      Route   1      0          0
>
> Now say someone connects to 216.69.196.1 and that goes to nw01.
>
> Now say someone connects to 216.69.196.2...
>
> At this point let's say that IPVSADM shows:
>
> Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
>   -> RemoteAddress:Port          Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
> FWM  1 lc persistent 600
>   -> nw01:0                      Route   1      1          0
>   -> nw02:0                      Route   1      0          0
>
> Will this new connection to 216.69.196.2 go to nw02 because it has the least
> number of TOTAL connections, or will it go to nw01 because for that
> PARTICULAR IP both have 0 connections?
>
> Now then say that the person who just connected to 216.69.196.1 makes a
> connection (within the 600 persistence seconds) to 216.69.196.3. Will this
> new connection go to nw01 because it's being persistent? Or will it go to
> either server depending on the number of connections?
>
> Here's what I think would be the best way to do things...
>
> If multiple IPs are marked with FWMARK 1, LVS should consider them all one
> entry in its active/inactive table. I don't believe that's how things are
> currently being handled.

        The templates are not accounted in the active/inactive counters.

> Any thoughts?

        When a service is marked persistent all connections from
CIP to VIP go to same RIP for the specified period. Even for the
fwmark based services. This works for many independent VIPs.

        The other case is fwmark service covering a DNS name.
I expect comments from users with SSL problems and persistent fwmark
service. Is there a problem or may be not?

        I agree, may be the both cases can be useful:

1. CIP->VIP
2. CIP->FWMARK

        Any examples where/why (2) is needed?

        But switching the LVS code always to use (2) for the
persistent fwmark services is possible.

> --
> . Ted Pavlic <mailto:ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.tedpavlic.com/

Regards