Re: FWMARK scheduling/persistence

To: "Horms" <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FWMARK scheduling/persistence
From: "Ted Pavlic" <tpavlic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:51:57 -0400
>From my own observations of how my IPVS is working, I do not believe that is
the case.

Another message posted in the lvs-group by Julian seems to back up my
observations.

Personally, I believe that FWMARK scheduling/persistence SHOULD work like
you're saying here. As far as the LVS is concerned, if someone connects to a
VIP marked with FWMARK 1, it should treat it just like every other VIP
marked with FWMARK 1 -- as if they were all one VIP.

But today on my LVS (where I have a ten minute persistence setup) I
connected to one virtual server marked with FWMARK 1 and got a certain real
server. I then expected to connect to another virtual server also marked
with FWMARK 1 and get that same real server. I did not, however. If what
you're telling me is correct, the persistence should have connected me to
the same real server as long as I was connecting within that ten minute
window.

Now in this particular example -- connecting to DIFFERENT virtual servers --
it isn't so necessary for persistence to be carried through PER virtual
server. I'm just worried that least connection scheduling and round-robin
scheduling aren't working at the FWMARK level -- I'm worried that they are
working at the VIP level as if I had setup hundreds of explicit VIP rules
inside IPVSADM.