Re: Configuring multiple virtual addresses on dummy0 interface

To: Shawn Cannon <SCannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Configuring multiple virtual addresses on dummy0 interface
Cc: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 09:14:43 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Shawn  Cannon wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I am running Red Hat 6.2/linux 2.2.14 and have configured multiple
> addressses (3) on the dummy0 interface. I am having trouble pinging two of
> them locally from the server itself. The first IP was assigned to dummy0
> directly (ifconfig dummy0 <IP> -arp) and seems to be working fine. The next
> two were assigned as a new interface off of dummy0 (ifconfig dummy0:0 <IP>
> -arp and ifconfig dummy0:1 <IP> arp). They will respond to pings, but will

        Forget about the ARP flag in the dummy and lo devices. You
can not play with this flag. To the dummy device you can attach only
addresses from the same class: all hidden or all not hidden. The
only reason to use dummy device for addresses is to specify hidden
addresses and to hide the dummy device:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden
echo 1 /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/dummy0/hidden

        If you don't hide dummy0 addresses with above rules,
adding addresses in the dummy devices is same as to define these
addresses on the eth devices: they are included in the ARP talks.

        You have to read http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/arp.html
for more information.

> take an extremely long time. When I do an ifconfig -a, the dummy0:0 and
> dummy0:1 will show up in the table but the RX/TX, errors, and collision
> packets do not get listed under the "UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST
> MTU:1500" line as listed in eth0, lo, and dummy0 interfaces. Am I missing
> something in the configuration for these two interfaces? Thanks...

        There are no stats for the attached addresses in Linux 2.2+,
they are only per device.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>