Re: persistent connections + proxy arrays

To: "Guillaume Giroux" <gug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: persistent connections + proxy arrays
From: Wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:07:37 -0700
At 02:07 AM 7/22/00 -0400, Guillaume Giroux wrote:
>I have heard but I could not verify that some big ISP use arrays of proxies
>to send out their users' http request (AOL), causing the nice side effect
>that the same aol user seems to originate from many distinct ip in the same
>browsing session.
>
>1- Can anybody confirm that this theory is true?

It is true.  We had seen it came out from 5 to 6 different
proxies for that user session.

>2- If this is true, my persistent (:0) DR setup becomes useless for aol
>clients, because I keep session information on only the first real server to
>serve him. Any suggestion (apart from "centralize that session info so it
>can be available from all RS")?

You are screwed, no matter what. What if the first user hit your
server, but next AOL user only get your information from proxy
servers, can any brand load balancer do anything?  Not really.

However, if you can force the session information being
received by every user, then might be okay, since that session
related infomration on HTTP 1.1 will keep connected to the
same server, unless one side decide to close it.  AOL
proxy likely will send all the session requests through the
same proxy server, otherwise, they need to get a better
proxy!