Re: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...

To: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 12:33:02 -0700
On 2000-08-07T21:47:36,
   Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx> said:

> - what is the main goal? Some things are not "possible" to
> implement.

Having a backup LVS takeover from the main one without losing a single
active connection.

I would be happy with a two node solution for now, though n > 2 is even nicer
;-)

> - is breaking the current connections fatal?

Yes.

We can already do this using heartbeat, piranha or any of the cold standby
solutions.

> 1 to 5 seconds
> without director before switching to backup one?

No. TCP/IP will take care of this.

> - are we going to replicate each state change or to grab a
> connection table snapshot?

Each state change is the only reasonable way.

Upon start of one machine, we obviously need to grab a connection table
snapshot once and queue the pending updates.

> - is there a requirement for the used transport? Can this
> transport be universal, i.e. export data to user space daemon
> and then send the data using any type of transport?

I would prefer this - netlink should make this easily possible.

> - Is it required the remote director to be with same CPU type
> if we send binary data?

This will not be a problem, we can document it as a prerequisite for this to
work.

> - What can be the time to replicate 128MB connection table? 1 second,
> 1 minute? What is the acceptable time?

"As soon as possible".

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>
    Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl