Re: NFS Redudancy

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NFS Redudancy
Cc: Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Matthew Enger <menger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-ha@xxxxxx
From: Wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 13:41:29 -0700
At 04:28 PM 9/1/00 -0400, Joseph Mack wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Wayne wrote:
>
>> It will not work for NFS.  NFS is working based on server
>> hand over an opaque packet to the client. Client since
>> then will communicate with the server based on that opaque
>> handle.  Normal NFS construct that opaque handle involves
>> some file system ID from that particular server, which most
>> likely will be different from one server to the other.
>
>this is a problem even for UDP NFS? (I know NFS is supposed to be
>stateless but isn't)

Joe,
If the NFS servers are identical, there is a chance that it may
work. However, if the file systems are not identical (from file
system ID point of view), it will not work, no matter if it is UDP
or not.  The stateless is only true to that particular server. BUT,
that is the NFSes I had been worked on before based on Sun's
original invention, it may not true for others implementations.
Wayne