Re: LVS vs Piranha

To: "David D.W. Downey" <david.downey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS vs Piranha
Cc: "Andreas J. Koenig" <andreas.koenig@xxxxxxxx>, Anmol Sheth <anmol@xxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Keith Barrett <kbarrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:52:28 -0400
"David D.W. Downey" wrote:

> I'd recommend UltraMonkey myself over Piranha.
>
> > My personal recommendation is to go to ultramonkey.sourceforge.net. I
> > found the documents there very complete and easy to understand. They
> > deal not only with LVS but all the things you need for a complete
> > working loadbalancing cluster.

Piranha and ultramonkey provide the same services, except that:

1. UltraMonkey's GUI runs in X (piranha's is web based)

2. piranha monitors the services in failover mode, in addition to the server
   heartbeats.

3. UltraMonkey uses heartbeat and ldirectord. Piranha uses pulse and nanny.

4. Piranha (when purchased as part of the HA Server product), comes with
   24x7 phone support.

--

Keith Barrett
Red Hat Inc. HA Team