Re: LVS vs Piranha

To: "David D.W. Downey" <david.downey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS vs Piranha
Cc: "Andreas J. Koenig" <andreas.koenig@xxxxxxxx>, Anmol Sheth <anmol@xxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Keith Barrett <kbarrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:24:22 -0400
"David D.W. Downey" wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Keith Barrett wrote:
>
> > Piranha and ultramonkey provide the same services, except that:
> >
> Not true. UM actually works

Intelligent response. Fine. We get it. You like UM better.

> > 2. piranha monitors the services in failover mode, in addition to the server
> >    heartbeats.
> when the lvs daemona ctually gets handed off the config like it's supposed
> to. Seems lvs doesn't know hwo to read what nanny passes on to it most of
> the time.
>
> Though testing exactly where lvs is choking is made rather difficult since
> passing nanny the -v switch to get verbose messages is a pain in the butt.

I have no idea what you are recommending here.

> > 4. Piranha (when purchased as part of the HA Server product), comes with
> >    24x7 phone support.
> >
> Yeah. as in configuration, and administration. The problem there is
> that the things the 24x7 support covers are things like "I've never
> used LVS before and I need to know what application to run to see the
> piranha web interface." but if you find a problem in the functionality be
> prepared to pay extra for a development contract to fix the problem.
>  The support doesn't go anywhere towards actually fixing a broken config,
> only fixing user knowledge of how to run the frontend.

Phone support is not a substitute for lack of training, unwillingness to
read documentation, or an inability to pay for consulting help. All the
Linux companies support basically covers installation and configuration
trouble-shooting. They do not cover things like architecting, learning, etc.
Most expire in 90 days. Red Hat's, unlike most, also includes some http
communications to the real servers.

--

Keith Barrett
Red Hat Inc. HA Team